2019-02-07

Blog rationale

One of my resolutions of 2018 was to read books more often, so that I could go back, or at least closer, to my old reading habit. I've certainly read more frequently, although not as much as I used to do it decades ago.

I'm now beginning this blog to capture the passages or phrases that are more interesting or relevant from the books I read. I do it in a blog as I'm mainly reading e-books I borrow from the public library and that means that once I "return" the loan, there is nothing left behind.  That goes against all my tendencies and especially against my weakening memory.

My memory is not getting any better with age, and although the e-books allow highlighting and even adding comments to parts of the text, all that is gone once they are returned. So, in absence of other options, I realized I could take pictures of those highlighted sections to help my memory. The next logical step was using a blog as a way to organize, keep and share those passages.

There are many arguments about the pros and cons of digital vs physical books, but this blog is not going to address that issue. (That would be for another platform). Given that I've gone "digital" with my reading, this is my attempt to keep something of the interesting parts I find and share them with whomever might be interested. And, as a bonus, I will be following one of the aphorisms of G. C. Lichtenberg, who said "To read is to borrow; to create from one's reading is how one pays his debts".


No comments:

Post a Comment

Initial post

Blog rationale

One of my resolutions of 2018 was to read books more often, so that I could go back, or at least closer, to my old reading habit. I've c...